Thursday, 15 September 2011

Senegalese Twists: The Takedown

I've had my beautiful senegalese twists in for just over 2 months, but alas, it is now time to remove them and give my hair some TLC.


Taking braids down can be such a chore and you can become frustrated and end up being quite rough with your hair, well I do anyway. So I thought I'd share with you my method for taking out braids that has resulted in less breakage and frustration!


1. Cut the braids to the point just before your hair begins. This just saves a bit of time. If you can't see or feel where your hair starts, get someone else to cut it or just leave it and start from the end of the braid.


2. Divide your hair into manageable sections. I had 8 on this occasion.


3. Spray one section of your hair with water/conditioner from the root all the way to the tip. I spray my hair with my water/conditioner mix until the braids are wet. Not dripping...but wet. Using water or conditioner helps provide slip for the hair, which will reduce the amount of knots you get.


4. Take out one braid at a time. When you take the braid out separate the hair to remove any shed hairs, remember to pay special attention to the ball of build-up which is normally at the start of the braid.


build-up = gross
5. Once you've finished that section, dampen with water/conditioner and comb through with a wide tooth comb. Add your pre-poo mixture (I used olive oil, coconut oil and honey) and twist or braid the hair to keep it from getting tangled again. Continue to the next section.


One section done


With pre-poo

All twisted up




I find that taking my braids down like this not only reduces the amount of hair I loose, but also saves me time!


Do you have any tips on how to take down braids? Share them in the comments!


4 comments:

AJ TAYLOR said...

Thanks for the tip. i'm putting my hair in braids soon so this will come in handy when they come off.

http://myafricancloset.wordpress.com/

Folly B said...

Glad you found it helpful!

Anonymous said...

thanks for tip

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, I would take them out this weekwnd but since I have exams I'm not. But trust me next weekend imma use these tips and perm this head. :)

Post a Comment